Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Dawnville on the Road: Pete's Seaside Cafe, Avila Beach




Before we dive into the description, let me say that I loved Pete's Seaside. So much so that I wanted to order another entree immediately after I finished my lunch. It was that good.

OK, now the story. I heard many good things about Pete's through Chowhound, one of my favorite sites for reliable food recommendations. On our last day in Avila we decided to check it out for lunch.

Pete's is located on the Harford Pier, about a mile along the water from the center of town. The pier is home to working fishing boats, seafood shops and the Olde Port restaurant (good for a scenic drink). It's fun to watch the seals frolic below you and some have even made themselves at home on the lower deck of the pier. Signs warn you that they are not friendly and will indeed attack if provoked. That didn't stop us from going down to take a peek at these massive animals lolling in the afternoon sun.

But back to Pete's. It was early for lunch, about 11:30 am, and the deck outside the restaurant was empty. I peered into the takeout window and saw two guys prepping food and chatting. I asked if they were open and got a yes. Usually, I don't like to eat at empty restaurants, but with nary a negative review from Chowhound I thought we would be okay. The menu is expansive for the side of the place which is little more than a small kitchen, beer tap and register. All eating is done al fresco, either under the corrugated tin makeshift roof or in the sun near the sun. All seats provide a view of the Pacific.
George and Giselle ordered shrimp tacos ($4.50) again. I looked over the specials board and chose the fresh halibut taco plate ($6.50), although I was intrigued by the pescado entero ($10), a 1 lb. whole fried fish. We ordered two New Belgium white beers from the tap and took a seat under cover. As we sat and sipped, traffic started to pick up at the window. Lots of regulars which is always a good sign. Within a few minutes, our name was called and we returned to the window to pick up our order. The friendly cook, whom I overheard being called "Nacho" handed us freshly cooked plates that smelled wonderful. I spooned on a little salsa from the condiment bar and hurried back to the table to dive in.

I don't know what the seasoning was on the halibut, but it matched the fish perfectly, giving the normally bland white fish a depth of flavor that just kept me biting away. The accompanying rice and beans tasted homemade. I managed to steal one bite of the shrimp tacos and they were tasty too. As I ate, I watched the later arrivals retrieve their plates. Next time I will definitely try the enchiladas. They are served with either a traditional or chili verde sauce, two giant enchiladas to a plate with a side of the same rice and beans. I was full, but still thinking about the pescado entero, hoping someone would order it so I could see it. I decided not to overdo it and promised myself a stop at Pete's on my next trip to southern California. It is most definitely worth the detour.



No comments:

Post a Comment